Owen is Recovering

Many times, we are asked how and why we do what we do.  On the morning of February 4, 2009, that question was answered in one of the most profound ways possible.

Two year old Owen Castle went missing in the late afternoon of February 3 from his front yard in Llano, Texas.  Owen and his mother were staying in a cabin on a remote ranch in the Llano area.  After searching for several hours, the Llano County Sheriff’s Office called Texas EquuSearch to assist in the search effort.

Tim Miller and a small group departed Dickinson, TX around midnight for the 270 mile trip in our mobile command center.  Arriving early in the morning, Tim met with local law enforcement to establish a search strategy.  Time was of the essence as little Owen was not dressed for the  weather which had dropped to 27 degrees overnight.

At 9am, a DPS helicopter pilot spotted Owen, laying face down in the dirt, more than a mile from his home.  Tim, TES volunteers and law enforcement officials made a mad dash to him, over rocky terrain for nearly a mile.  They scaled a barbed wire game fence, several feet high, which Owen had managed to get through.  When they reached him, the sheriff picked him up and Tim felt for his pulse.  He felt none at first.  Lisa ripped Owens wet socks off of him and put her warm gloves on his feet as everyone rubbed his cold limbs to warm him up.  After a few minutes, Owen made a small crying noise.

Having no time to wait for the Life Flight helicopter, the DPS helicopter landed, and Owen was loaded into it for transport to a local hospital.  From there, he was transported to Dell Children’s Hospital in Austin, TX.  He remained in critical condition overnight.  His body temperature when he arrived at the hospital was 74 degrees.

Over the weekend, we received the wonderful news that Owen is fully recovered and home with his father, where he belongs.  He is happy and busy being a normal 2 1/2 year old child.

Thanks to all who participated in this miracle rescue.

This is why we do what we do.